December 5, 2007

Something to think about today

As I get ready to buckle down to do some writing for my dissertation, I wanted to share these quotes with you. For those of us who're trying to go where noone has gone before with research (whoa, that sounds way cooler than I thought it would), etc., it's a constant struggle to be able to look at things from different perspectives and to not be tied down by what we have already been taught, the conventional methods and systems (which can sort of give you horse vision). I guess it's sort of similar to being able to think "outside the box".

But of course, these don't only apply to "disserting" but to every other aspect of our lives, too... And surely, these quotes are not anti-education, and I'm not anti-education (duh, I've been in school for how long now???? ). :D

"The difficulty lies, not in the new ideas, but in escaping the old ones, which ramify, for those brought up as most of us have been, into every corner of our minds."
John Maynard Keynes

"Men are born ignorant, not stupid; they are made stupid by education."
Bertrand Russel

No comments: