January 13, 2009

Change is good, eh?

I've been in sort of a denial about what's going on (or maybe I should say coming up) in my life, but I cannot run from it anymore, as I got a call from my landlord today asking if tomorrow noon was a good time to show my apartment to a prospective renter (whom I hope does not like to cook or daylight, given the fact that my kitchen is tiny and the apartment is dark like a cave most of the day. I think someone with vampirical (is that even a word?) tendencies would be the best candidate, but I digress...) I'm moving to Montreal, CA, in about a month, to be with my fiance, where he has a job, and I...don't. Hopefully that will be resolved once I stop this denial thing, and get my bum over there, and actually start looking. But for now, I am stuck in this vicious cycle of "purging" my belongings, which mostly goes like this: Take something out of the cupboard, bookshelf, wardrobe...Look at it lovingly, caress it, think about how much I like it (even though I had no clue it existed until that very moment), try to decide whether it goes in the "recycle", "trash", or "donate" pile, then decide it's a keeper. So in reality, I am not purging as much as I am making piles of "keepers", which sort of creates areas of walking hazard all over the apartment, because I tend to trip over things very frequently. (Ask my fiance if you don't believe me. It's a miracle I haven't tripped over the internet cable that goes from the living room to the bedroom yet. But that can change...Just you wait.)

Unfortunately, the whole tripping thing poses a big threat, as my right foot ankle is already messed up from too many traumas in the past (not tripping related), and my health insurance just expired, and I haven't renewed it because I am here for just another month or so. I know that is dumb, but it was either renew it for at least 5 more months, or call them to figure out how to do it for just a month. Given the fact that they barely pay for anything that could happen here in the U.S., I doubt they would pay for anything that could happen in Canada, so renewing for 5 months was even dumber if you ask me. Anyhow, I am just keeping my fingers crossed that I won't have any "accidents" in the few more weeks that I am here, and also hoping that the pain I am currently experiencing with my big toe and constant dizziness will all go away on their own.

A lot of things happened during the period I was not blogging. I "defended" my dissertation, and finally became a Ph.D. I got engaged on Thanksgiving night 2008. And now I am moving to Montreal. I must admit that I am pretty excited, except a little sad because I have to leave so many friends behind (and the aforementioned "keepers"...There's just no way I can take everything with me. Or so I keep telling myself.)

I have decided to clean the blog up a little bit, mostly get rid of the political stuff. Given my frustration with how things are in general, I think this change will be good for me. I've always liked "beginnings" (frankly, I don't understand why we say "new beginnings", because there can't be an "old beginning" can there???), so I hope this one, like the ones before, will give me a chance to meet new people, and equip me with better tools to deal with this thing called life (because changes do that). But honestly, above everything else, I look forward to being united with my fiance again, and starting a new life together from scratch. How cool is that?

No comments: