January 30, 2010

M. is working again today, although this time he's home...We spent the entire morning cleaning the apartment, and now he's working on my desk while I am...Well, blogging on the couch in the living room, I guess. It's incredibly cold outside, something like -15 oC feels like -10000 oC, and I had the bedroom window open to air out the apartment, so now I am cold...Once you're cold it's so hard to warm up even if you close the windows and put on a sweater; the hands (my hands?) just refuse to warm up for some reason...And this after 2 mugs of hot tea and 2 chocolate muffins. We're planning to go out for dinner, but I'm hoping we'll either go somewhere really close by or somewhere far enough that we can take the metro...It's not so much that it's -15, because really, at -15 the weather is so dry one doesn't feel it as much as when it's -3 and humid (in my opinion)...BUT the wind just kills you, and there's a lot of wind...For the past 2 days, it's been stormy here, so stormy I was scared the table out in the balcony was going to fly away...Now that I think about it, since I haven't had the guts to go out and check, I have no clue whether it's still there. Hmmmm...Would a table that fell 11 floors be able to kill someone? Don't tell me, I don't want to know.

So, since I have a lot of things to do "work wise" but don't want to do any of them, I decided now is just as good a time as any to start working on my new thin scarf/accessory thing that I want to make. I bought this yarn (3 skeins of it) last year because I thought the colors looked great, it was very cheap and it is 100% Australian wool. After I bought it, I realized I had no clue what to do with it. It sat in a bag all this time, until last week when I finally decided I'd make myself a skinny scarf/belt/accessory thing I could wrap around my neck (or waist) 107124 times. Then I thought this yarn might just do the trick. So I went and got some beads for it from a bead store. I had to try really hard just to get beads for this yarn and not get sidetracked and buy a bunch of others I would never use. In the end, I got these:



When I got home, I realized there are only about 36 of them, which is not that many. Hopefully, I'll be able to make something decent looking that really resembles what's in my head...Sometimes I start making something and then realize what I'm thinking about making and what I am actually making have no resemblance whatsoever. So who knows what this might be in the end, a belt turned into a tea cozy? A scarf that could double as a sock? The possibilities are endless...I really need to plan my projects well before I attempt to realize them...Now that I think about it, maybe I just need to stop and think for a minute before I attempt to do ANYTHING, and plan it well and think it over in my head, because there's a repeating pattern here...The best laid plans of mice and men (and me?)...Knit 1 , purl 2...

No comments: