January 20, 2010

Universe:1-Me:0

So...I had my wallet stolen yesterday. I have no clue how it happened, my purse was with me all the time. Apparently the person who stole it had no bad intentions---like stealing my identity and applying for credit or something. Instead, "she" went shopping. I say "she" because I don't know that men necessarily shop at Roots and FeetFirst for shoes and handbags. And this within 1 hour of stealing my wallet, and right about a few blocks away from where it was stolen--that was fast! Anyway, needless to say I had to cancel the credit cards, my school ID here, and my U.S. driver's license. The last one bummed me out the most, because it's something I cannot replace from over here, and might mean that I'll have to carry around my passport for an official I.D. That sucks, because if I get that stolen then that's big trouble. I am totally stumped as to how this whole thing happened, I never had my wallet stolen before and I've always been careful to guard it well. Now I'm going to be all paranoid when I'm out...

Anyhow, this reminded me of one of my former posts, about how things could be better in my life and would the Universe please show me the way. Well the Universe showed me the way alright: Complain and I shall make you humble by having your wallet stolen and leaving you to deal with DMV on the phone (I learned some pretty cool stuff today, like you really cannot cancel your driver's license unless you return it to them...even if it's stolen!?!)

Universe: So you said you didn't want to think about how your life could be worse...No need to think, I'll just kindly show you, you ungrateful piece of s&*#...
Me: Ohhh where's my wallet?!?
Universe: Well, right now it's with a 20 year-old who's bent on a shoe/handbag shopping spree...With your card and ID...She could do anything you know, shop, apply for credit, even rent a car and have an accident...She'll probably not do any of those as you will cancel the card really quickly and she just needs new shoes (about $700 worth!!!) but there's no telling where she's going to throw them all and who'll find them next.
Me:#%&*%&&*!!!
Universe: Yup!
Me: I'm trying reeeealy hard to see some growing opportunity in this...
Universe: OK keep looking...Ooopps gotta go, got lots to take care of...Starting with the chick who stole your wallet...I wonder what would be an appropriate action to take in this case...hmmm...now what was it? A wallet for ungratefulness, and...hmm what was it for stealing?
Me: Byeee! Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out...

All joking aside, I have everything under control now, I think. I just have to make a visit to the bank to replace my debit card I canceled yesterday, and a trip to school to replace my student ID, if they will give me one (since I am not officially registered right now). And maybe as my dear friend Doodles suggested this is an opportunity to really make a fresh start...Who knows...

No comments: