January 24, 2010

Various thoughts on random things

-I bought, for the second time ever in Montreal, the Sunday paper today (a different one than the previous one because previous one had no "careers" insert) only to find out that...this one has no "careers" section, either...Hmmm...First one was in English, this one was in French...Maybe they have the job ads some other day? I was hoping for something better than what I can get online from their websites. This job search is really doomed.
-Mariachi went to his office both days to work...I did yoga and random housework stuff while he was gone, but I have nothing to show for it somehow :S
-I decided to notch up the level of yoga a bit today...My whole body is aching right now. In a weird way that makes me feel good, because 1. I feel like I worked out 2. I felt this way when I first started doing yoga again more than a month ago, and the yoga I do now was starting to become too easy. That means maybe this routine will become easy in another 1.5 months (assuming I stick with it...ahem...), and if that's the case, then I might one day finally be able to do the "crow pose"! (Which for some reason, no matter how much better I get at yoga, seems like an unattainable pose.)
-Weather report says it will be 9 oC here tomorrow...That doesn't sound normal at all.
-I don't understand why blogger underlines "doesn't" in red like I am not typing it correctly...That is the correct spelling I believe...
-I just finished knitting a scarf and a matching earband/earmuff kind of thing...I can't wait to wear them! Mariachi said they look like those stylish things girls in "Elle" magazine wear. I never buy Elle, so I have no clue where that came from, and whether he thinks Elle is some kind of knitting magazine...I doubt anyone in Elle actually wears anything close to a scarf/earmuff combo, hehe...But I thanked him anyway, because he said I was "very talented"...Apparently he has no clue what talent is either.
-I spent almost an entire week at the library. I feel like I am back to school again, and that I still have a dissertation to write..When will I get used to the feeling that it is over? Sometimes I just can't help but question why I am, at some level, so unwilling to leave this "student state of mind". I do feel like I am ready to move on to something else, I desperately want to start working, yet there is still some kind of uneasiness...Somehow, this idea has been instilled in me, that "working" is very, very hard, and you have to be very diligent about it, and be ready to give up your whole life for it, and you will never ever have fun once that phase of your life starts (I have no problem working really hard, I'm not lazy, but I think what I associate it with in my head is unhappiness). My dad was a workaholic, and my mom often used sentences like "well, she works so it's understandable that she can't come/do something" or something to that effect. Maybe my mind has been programmed to think, from early childhood, that "real work"=no life, crazy working hours, not being able to do fun stuff, and being cranky all the time...Of course work takes commitment and hard work, and one should always do his/her best and give 100%, but I don't think it's supposed to make you miserable. Totally depends on what you do of course, and whether you like what you do or not, but it's so hard to break these thought patterns once they've been "set". Or maybe it has nothing to do with that at all, but I feel like it does.
-Sometimes I scare myself trying to read into my past to explain current "thoughts" or "behavior patterns". I wasn't like this...WTH?
-I really wonder what I'll be doing around this time next year...Last year, I was getting ready to move here, the year before that I had no idea whatsoever I'd be defending my Ph.D. or moving to another country in a year, or that I would be engaged. Sometimes things move unpredictably fast in life. And I think I prefer it that way...

No comments: