February 16, 2010

So much to write, so little time...

Whew, the past few days have been busy, and although I wanted to write, and had so many things to share, I just couldn't find the time. I probably forgot half of the things I wanted to share by now. I've mostly been busy tweaking my resume or CV, depending on the situation, to apply for jobs (that I'll never hear back from), and to some degree with just regular "house" stuff...M's workload is lighter these days and he gets home earlier, around 5:30 pm, which gives me less time to get through everything I want to do before he gets home. Once he gets home, we usually don't want to talk about work, do work, or see work (which doesn't apply to all things that include the word "work" as someone has to do some "house work" around here after dinner, like load the dishwasher and clean up the kitchen, etc.). For the sake of being fair though, M does help with those things, but he claims I have very "strict" codes as to how things should be done, so I end up doing more. Anyway, if I keep writing about this matter, this post might turn into a full blown rant, so I'll just stop here.

Saturday afternoon we went out for a stroll (well actually we had to go out to take M's guitar to the shop because it was in need of some adjustment), and ended up walking around afterwards. We passed by the Notre-Dame Basilica , and in front were these horse carriages:


Some of the carriages were decorated for V day, although I don't think any of them are visible in the picture. Then we decided to go in...It is pretty impressive inside, too, and I believe it is one of the popular choices in Montreal for a wedding ceremony. Then we moved on, and passed by a cupcake store, which kind of surprised me because I had never realized there was a cupcake store there (crappy picture taken by yours truly once again):

I've read that cupcakes are not that big in Montreal, and Montrealers have a hard time grasping the whole "boutique" cupcake craze (that I heard was made famous by Sex and the City and Magnolia Bakery in New York), mostly because it's so easy to come across delicious bakery products here at every corner, and cupcakes in comparison seem like something you would buy at a baking sale...But of course it has caught up in the last few years, and I'm planning to check them out here because from the reviews I read, that store has the best ones. It's not a cupcake boutique, but a general cake boutique. I'm not a big fan of icing, but the reviews are so good, one has to go and try them.

We stopped on the way so that I could listen to these ladies gossiping:

And later we had dinner at this small joint where the hamburger, to my surprise, kicked ass...I think it was the patty that was seasoned with garlic, and it tasted like it was cooked on fire, and the bread was so crunchy my mouth is watering just thinking about it right now. During dinner, M's brother called and said they decided to have a V day party, and asked if we would stop by, and we did...There were heart shaped cookies, and cupcakes (not boutique ones though, hahaha), and decorations. It was nice in a red and pink sprinkles on white icing kind of way.

There are some other pictures and things I want to post, but for now I think I'll stop here, because I have a graphical design program I need to familiarize myself with, and a CV to send. I sometimes wonder if I should be writing about more serious stuff, rather than my mundane life, but I guess right now I am in that kind of phase, where I need to write about mundane things, because everything else is so "busy"...This is my escape from the hectic world, where I get to slow down and remember/appreciate the good moments I had, and to remind myself of the things that really matter-the things that make me happy. Speaking of things that make me happy, here's a bean chili that I made this week:


Maybe you can take the girl out of the south, but you can't take the south out of the girl...Next week, it'll be exactly 1 year since I moved to Montreal, and although things haven't been that great on the job search front, I do not regret for one second that I made this move. And maybe the whole job search thing and the frustration over it are what have made me consider new options, and made me start something I would never think I could do...But I sure do miss real "ice tea", and the great conversations that could be had over a great cup of chili.

No comments: